Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Chisinau, Moldova

What is Moldova? This is the first question I almost always get when I tell people where I'm going, so here are some easy facts about the country:

-Moldova is a small country to the West of Ukraine and East of Romania in Eastern Europe. It was a part of the USSR, but became an independent nation in 1991, and was recognized internationally in 1992.
-Moldovans normally speak Romanian, Russian, or both.
-Its capital is Chisinau. Chisinau was known as Kishinev, its Russian name, when Moldova was part of the USSR.
-Wine is one of Moldova's biggest exports, and is a very important part of the country's economy.
-Moldova is not part of the European Union, but is looking at working more closely with the EU. It does not use the Euro, but uses the leu, its own currency. While the EU discussions are happening, there are also many questions as to whether or not Moldova should have closer ties to Russia instead.

When I am in Moldova, I will be there to study Russian language through immersion. I will be living with a Russian-speaking family and taking Russian classes, as well as trying to speak Russian in Chisinau. I leave tomorrow for my trip orientation in Washington DC, and then I leave for Chisinau on Saturday. Overall, I am extremely excited to be going, and I cannot wait to improve my Russian!

3 comments:

  1. Grace, have a great trip, I know you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, Safe travels on Saturday. Can't wait to hear about all your adventures! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to think of something Moldovian to right but .... have a great trip! Cant wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete